Chevron Island Bridge was opened by Frank Nicklin (1895-1978), the Premier of Queensland (known as “Honest Frank”), on 12 March 1960. As part of the ceremony, he also unveiled the foundation stone for the new Chevron hotel and remarked that the opening was a “notable day in the history of Queensland”. The bridge was constructed by private developer, Stan Korman, and handed to the Gold Coast City Council “without any strings”. At the time it was the largest bridge of its kind ever constructed in Queensland. The bridge connects central Surfers Paradise with Chevron Island and was one of the first major infrastructure developments of the booming Surfers Paradise, catering for the growing need to link new canal estate developments with the beach. The bridge opening attracted a colourful gathering, with some people travelling up to 4,000 miles for the occasion and the chance to inspect the recently developed island.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one