Captain William Bate’s Grave is in the cemetery behind Deadman’s Beach, the principal cemetery on the island to the south-west of Georgetown. It was the cemetery for the Royal Marines Garrison. Captain Bate was Commandant of Ascension Island from 1828 until his death from fever at North East Cottage, on 15 April 1838. He produced many changes on the island, including building a tank holding 1,200 tons of water. He also named the settlement Georgetown on 3 April 1829, in honour of the birthday of King George IV.His grave notes the names of many of his shipmates who died at the garrison at the same time. Another early grave is that of Commander Thomas Saville Griffinhoofe, RN, Commanding Officer of the sloop, HMS Primrose, who died in 1830. The cemetery contains many wooden headstones, made from ship’s timbers, which have survived for nearly 200 years, and is surrounded by a dry stonewall. Despite this it has been battered by storms and floods over the years. Here too is the Commonwealth War Graves cemetery with six men killed in the First World War and one in the Second. The inner part of the cemetery contains more recent graves, and outside its walls is a pet cemetery.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one