The Bridgeton Umbrella is a 50-foot high open octagonal cast iron shelter topped by a square clock tower and a weather vane. It was manufactured by George Smith & Co at the Sun Foundry, Port Dundas and gifted to the city in 1875. Part of Bridgeton Cross regeneration, it has been restored by Ballantine Castings Ltd of Bo’ness, and is considered to be one of Glasgow’s most loved landmarks. Originally it was a toll point, and was used as a covered meeting place and sometimes as a bandstand. It is situated at a major junction point between London Road, Dalmarnock Road, Main Street and James Street. Nearby is Bridgeton Cross Station, on the Glasgow Central Line. Bridgeton Cross is also the location for the Olympia Theatre, built in 1911 and recently restored as a community facility.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one