Briars Pavillion is where Napoleon stayed for a few weeks when he was in exile on St. Helena in 1815. The Pavillion was in the garden of William Balcombe, an English merchant who became a purveyor to Napoleon. After Balcombe left the Briars, this pavilion was leased to the government and used as a home for the admiral. Following much different ownership under the French government, the Briars Pavillion has been restored and is now used to house the memoirs written by Napoleon’s servants. Now one of the rooms has been assembled to the way it was in Napoleon’s day. The room has a camp-bed, a table, a chest of drawers, a sofa, an armchair and several chairs. It can be visited by appointment.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one