The Bert Pepper Memorial stands at the western end of Southport Mall and commemorates Herbert Charles (Bert) Pepper (1922-90), a local businessman who served as Mayor of the Gold Coast and President of Southport Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Billeted in Southport at the beginning of World War II, Pepper permanently relocated to Southport from his home state of New South Wales with his wife and baby son in 1942. He was instrumental in forming the Gold Coast Combined Chamber of Commerce and Industry, which united all nine Chambers on the Gold Coast. In 1980 he lobbied State Government to bring forward construction of the new District Court House in Southport, and began negotiating for the pedestrianised Southport Mall. Opened in 1988, the memorial plaque permanently commemorates his involvement in its creation as the “Father of the Southport Mall.” Next to it is a time capsule installed by local Councillor Dawn Crichlow, OAM, in 2000, to be opened by 2050.
See it on these walks
A medal was purchased for this point by: City of Gold Coast