The Belize City Council is in the Town Hall on North Front Street. As far back as 1638, the Settlement was governed by magistrates who were elected annually, so this is where the government began in Belize at both national and municipal level. The early magistrates enacted ‘Rules and Regulations’ and here public meetings were held. When the British presence was made official in the colony, there were numerous constitutional struggles and changes involving the local inhabitants and the British Crown. As the population expanded, so local administration and the government became more complex. And when refugees from Yucatan arrived in droves in the mid 19th century, the need to reform local became more acute.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one