The waterfront Barr’s Bay Park at Pitts Bay Road, overlooks Hamilton Harbor and the docks of the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club. The park, with its shaded trees and benches, is named after Barr families who lived in the city since the American Revolution in the 1700s. Barr’s Bay Park contains the ‘We arrive’ sculpture, erected in 2010 on the 175th anniversary of the arrival of the ship Enterprise carrying 78 slaves, which was forced to anchor here in 1835 after being blown off course by a strong gale. The ship was heading from Virginia to South Carolina, carrying slaves for sale there. After 21 days at sea, the ship had to refill its stocks and provisions. Here the fate of the slaves changed forever. In the previous year (1834), slavery had been abolished throughout the British Empire, including Bermuda. The customs authorities, therefore, refused to give clearance to the ship until a choice of freedom was given to the slaves. Movements were lodged by local societies. After being kept in captivity on board the ship, the slaves finally landed at the Barr’s Bay Park to great cheers from the local crowd.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one