Baron Bliss (1869-1926) left instructions in his Will that his body should be embalmed and buried at a point overlooking Belize Harbour at a depth of no less than 6 feet above the high water mark at Fort George, and that an obelisk in the form of Cleopatra’s Needle 80 feet above ground level is placed over it. This was to have a small light. He stipulated it was to be made of Aberdeen granite and that all the work be done by an English engineer.
It would seem that the Baron Bliss Lighthouse, originally established in 1885, and named after the Baron, was Belize’s way of fulfilling the instructions about an obelisk. It is white and red and has a focal plane of 52 feet. The Lighthouse is illustrated on one of Belikin’s most popular alcoholic beverages, ‘The Lighthouse lager.’ This has meant that the lighthouse’s image appears on billboards, coasters, cups, mugs and other items throughout Belize.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one