Banff Canoe Club is now located where, in 1899, William Mather purchased the Bow River Boat House and built a second dock, the North Landing. The Bow River was once a busy place. As early as 1888, residents and visitors explored the river by renting a canoe or embarking on a scenic tour aboard R.M. Rooper’s motor launch, the Mountain Belle.In Canada, the canoe has been a theme in history and folklore, and is a symbol of Canadian identity. From 1935 to 1986 the Canadian silver dollar depicted a voyageur and an indigenous person paddling a canoe with the northern lights in the background.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one