The Hall of Memory in Centenary Square is a war memorial, erected between 1922 and 1925 to commemorate the 12,500 citizens of Birmingham who died in the First World War. It was built over a filled-in canal basin of Gibson’s Arm. The foundation stone was laid by The Prince of Wales (later Duke of Windsor) in 1923, and opened by Prince Arthur of Connaught (1883-1938), a grandson of Queen Victoria, in 1925. It is made of Portland stone and was designed by S.N. Cooke (1882-1964).
Around it are memorial stones to Victoria Cross holders who came from Birmingham.
It is flanked by four bronze statues to symbolise the contribution made to the war by the Navy, Army, Air Services and Women.
Inside is a shrine which supports a bronze casket. Within it lies a magnificently inscribed and illuminated First World War Roll of Honour. After 1945 a Roll of Honour was added for those who died in the Second World War; and across the hall is a third Roll of Honour which contains the names of those citizens who have died in campaigns since then.
On the walls are three bas-reliefs indicating different aspects of the Great War. The first is ‘Call’, showing men leaving home to join up. It records that ‘of 150,000 who answered the call to arms 12,320 fell: 35,000 came home disabled’. The second is Front Line, depicting a party of men in the firing line and bearing he powerful words, ‘At the going down of the sun and in the morning we shall remember them’. The third portrays the wounded and maimed coming home, stating simply, ‘See to it that they shall not have suffered and died in vain’.
A medal was purchased for this point by: The Weston Foundation